Biggest wins in the history of the Carabao (previously League) Cup

The record for the largest aggregate score by a winning side over two legs in the Carabao Cup competition (going back over the days when it was known as the League Cup) was 13. The biggest goal margin was 11. But the record books could have been rewritten recently when Manchester City faced Burton Albion for their second leg game following the 9-0 rout in the first match.

In the 1986/87 League Cup competition, Liverpool took on Fulham. The first leg, which was played at Anfield, resulted in a 10-0 win for the home side. Steve McMahon scored four goals during the game but could have made it five had he not missed a penalty.

But as with so many two-leg matches where the weaker side play the opening game at away, the first match resulted in a goal-fest, while the second leg was relatively tame. In the case of Liverpool and Fulham, the second-leg match at Craven Cottage was a much closer affair with the Reds winning by three goals to two.

However, the aggregate score over the two games of 13-2 was the highest goal tally of any team to date in this competition.

The next highest aggregate goal tally was a couple of seasons earlier in the Carabao Cup or League Cup as it was in those days in the 1983/84 competition. This was the game where West Ham beat Bury by 12 goals to 1.

This one went against the grain in as much as the favourites (West Ham) only managed a 2-1 win at Upton Park. In the second leg, however, which goes slightly off-piste from the norm, the Hammers won by 10 goals to nil. Their 10 goals remain the highest number of goals scored by any side in the Carabao Cup to date.

The hero of the day for West Ham was a young 19-year-old who went by the name of Tony Cottee. The start of an illustrious football career.

The third highest aggregate goal total for a single team over two matches was 11 goals. These were scored in the 1981/82 League Cup games between Liverpool and Exeter, and unsurprisingly it was, of course, Liverpool once again who stole the honours. Not so much a steal as a giveaway.

In this pair of fixtures, (which also went slightly away from the norm), Liverpool won the first leg at Anfield by five goals to nil, and then went on to win the second leg at St James' by six goals to nil. The Reds' goal machine in those days was Ian Rush. He scored a pair of goals in each game.

The second time there was an 11-0 aggregate score line was in 1987/88 when Watford beat Darlington.

Manchester City could have rewritten the record books in this year's competition. Their nine goals from the first game against Burton (although overshadowed by the 10 scored by Liverpool back in the 1986/87 cup run) meant that City needed to score just three in the second leg to become the new record holders for the biggest goal margin ever, providing that was that Burton didn't score.

Five would have seen them write a new record (14 goals) for the biggest aggregate total ever.

As it was and with such a healthy lead, City fielded a number of Academy players in their team alongside seasoned striker Sergio Aguero and other first-team stars such as Gabriel Jesus and Kevin De Bruyne. It was a mistake. The Brewers fought tenaciously, and the Sky Blues only scored one goal courtesy of Aguero. 

The Citizens do however march on and will contest the final for the second year in succession, but the record books remain as written - at least for now.